The independent evaluation office of the GEF (IEO) evaluated the GEF CSO Network for the period 2014-2016 concluding, inter alia, network’s activities were distant from the country level where GEF projects make their mark and from where the majority of Network CSOs operate. Therefore the evaluation recommended that the GEF CSO Network should continue to build itself as a mechanism for strengthening civil society participation in the GEF at the global, regional and national levels, paying particular attention to: membership development, capacity building and value-added working relationships across the GEF partnership.
In this context, EMLI with financial support to a tune of USD 30,000 from GEFSGP, UNDP and Government of Uganda is undertaking a 2 year project June 2017- March 2019) with a goal to establish CSO-Government dialogue platform to strengthen support mechanism of the SGP.
2.1 Specific Objectives
1. Strengthen institutional and technical capacity of GEF CSO Network in Uganda;
2. Catalyze multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs) implementation and integration into national decision making frameworks;
3. Foster innovative partnerships with private sector in the realization of global environmental benefits.
3. Intended results
3. Intended results
· Functional environmental information system for Civil society and the local chapter of the GEF CSO Network shaping and influencing national planning and budgeting in support of global environmental benefits
- Establishment of National Environment platform to dialogue and address systemic crosscutting national environmental management issues, aimed at making environment an essential part of national interest
- Improved sustainability reporting by private sector participants under UN Global Compact Local Network in Uganda
- Development of pilot mechanism for effective access and utilization of domestic public finance for environment and natural resource management for enhanced MEAs implementation.